Survival of The Fittest

Monday, January 16, 2006

Point Reyes - Tule Elk Reserve



A couple weeks ago, Laura and I hiked the Tule Elk Reserve at Point Reyes (click here). Point Reyes is located on the coast just north of Marin. It's an incredible area to hike. In addition to the ocean views, they have several species of deer - including black tail, axis, and fallow (click here).

The fallow deer look like albino caribou. I saw some as we were driving up to the visitors center but they were just over the top of a hill. From my angle, all I saw were white backs with large racks - it confused me. I thought that I was seeing sheep on steroids or white elk...I assumed I was going crazy. But sure enough, Mr. Park Ranger showed us some pictures and I learned about the fallow deer.

We hiked about 5 miles and took some incredible pictures. Unfortunately, my digital camera isn't up to the task of photographing elk that are a hundred yards away. That being the case, you're left with a picture of me and Laura...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
asbestos exposure
asbestos exposure